Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hunter Thompson's Letter to the Vancouver Sun

In October of 1958, Hunter Thompson wrote a letter to Jack Scott of the Vancouver Sun Thompson used his infamous honesty when asking Scott for a job as a reporter. Thompson informed Scott that his last employer would not provide a good reference.


I didn't make myself clear to the last man I worked for until after I took the job. It was as if the Marquis de Sade had suddenly found himself working for Billy Graham. The man despised me, of course, and I had nothing but contempt for him and everything he stood for. If you asked him, he'd tell you that I'm "not very likable, (that I) hate people, (that I) just want to be left alone, and (that I) feel too superior to mingle with the average person." (That's a direct quote from a memo he sent to the publisher.)


Boing Boing has the entire letter. I highly recommend reading it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home