Thursday, June 09, 2011

Republican Tells Students Not to Get Involved in Education Discussion

Iowa state Senator Shawn Hamerlinck (R – District 42) encourages students to not get involve in the political process. What an inspiring message for kids everywhere.


"I do not like it when students actually come here and lobby me for funds. That's just my opinion. I want to wish you guys the best. I want you to go home and graduate. But this political theater, leave the circus to us, OK? Go home and enjoy yourselves. I want to thank you for joining us and though I have to concede, your time speaking before us is kind of a tad intense. It's probably a pretty new experience. You probably prepared for it for days and you sat there in front of us trying to make sure your remarks were just right, and that's a good thing. But actually spending your time worrying about what we're doing up here, I don't want you to do that. Go back home. Thanks guys."


Students came to speak to the Senate Education Committee about the education cuts. Hamerlinck told the students that their appearance was "“political propaganda." That's funny. I was under the impression it was democracy in action. Apparently, Hamerlinck believes democracy applies only to those that agree with him.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home