Saturday, September 01, 2007

Two Neoliberals Meet Facebook




New Republic alumni Robert Wright and Mickey Kaus discuss Facebook. Their discussion reminds me of debates on what blogging is all about. Wright wonders what the big deal is. The fuss is people talking overanalyzing new forms of internet technology. I remember when the media would break down the merits of Friendster like it was a calculus.

I use Facebook to network with other progressive political activists and promote Pushing Rope Facebook Group. I find Facebook easy to use. I have no plans of forming a Pushing Rope Myspace Group. The Myspace layouts are ugly and the software sucks. The only reason the site took off was because of the musical artists posting MP3s. Myspace is great for music. The other services are lackluster.

Kaus and Wright remind me of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho spending hours wazing poetic about Phil Collins lyrics. Facebook isn't meant to start a revolution. It's a social media site that people can either use or not.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home