Monday, April 03, 2006

Tom Delay Quits

The political landscape is changing. I didn't think Delay would retire.


"I'm going to announce tomorrow that I'm not running for reelection and that I'm going to leave Congress," DeLay, who turns 59 on Saturday, said during a 90-minute interview on Monday. "I'm very much at peace with it." He notified President Bush in the afternoon. DeLay and his wife, Christine, said they had been prepared to fight, but that he decided last Wednesday, after months of prayer and contemplation, to spare his suburban Houston district the mudfest to come. "This had become a referendum on me," he said. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for this district."


The rest of the interview is Delay defending his ethical behavior. No surprise there. Only a plea bargain agreement would make him confess.

The bad news is that Delay might run for office in Virginia.


He said he will change his legal residence to his condominium in Alexandria, Va., from his modest two-story home on a golf course here in the 22nd District of Texas. "I become ineligible to run for election if I'm not a resident of the state of Texas."


Poor Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home