Saturday, March 09, 2013

Patrick Stewart Wants Violence Against Women to End

Actor Sir Patrick Stewart spoke at the Diplomatic Ballroom at the United Nations. Stewart wants one million men to promise to end violence against women.

"Every nine seconds a woman is assaulted or beaten in the United States," Stewart said.

Stewart drove the point home by counting to nine. Stewart knows firsthand about assault on women. At the age of 6, Stewart witnessed his father assaulting his mother.

"I became an expert on when to open the door and throw myself between my father's fist and my mother's body," Stewart said.

He said his father "was unable to control his emotions—and his hands."

"My mother did not do anything to provoke my father," Stewart said. "But even if she did, violence is not the answer."

Stewart is asking men to pledge to not commit violence against women. I hereby vow not to commit acts of violence against women.

If you are a woman in Tampa experiencing domestic violence, you can seek help at the Spring.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home