Tuesday, June 09, 2009

When Mel Met Sonia

This is good news for Sonia Sotomayor's confirmation. Her meeting with Mel Martinez went better than expected.


“I’m going to withhold my ultimate determination about my position on the nominee until after the committee hearing, but I should say I’m very, very impressed with her. Not only her personal qualities, but also her understanding of the role of the judiciary and the role of a judge,” Martinez said.


Martinez is on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sotomayor will make it easily through committee. What could piss off Martinez is if fellow Republicans cintunue to attack Sotomayor on the "wise Latina" quote. Martinez hasn't been pleased with how the GOP has treated Hispanics and Latinas. Martinez isn't running for re-election. Any feeble attempt Republicans have at filibustering Sotomayor goes out the window if Martinez supports her confirmation.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home