Friday, June 05, 2009

Brian Williams Ask Obama the Gay Marriage Question



"I think gays and lesbians have a friend in the White House because I've consistently committed myself to civil unions, making sure that they have to visit each other in hospitals, that they are able to access benefits, that they have a whole host of legal rights that they currently do not have. I don't think it makes sense for the federal government to get in the business of determining what marriage is. That isn't traditionally the federal government's role."

NBC News anchor Brian Williams asked, "Do gays and lesbian couples who wish to marry have a friend in the White House?"

President Obama gave his unenthusiastic support for civil unions. Obama sounds like George W. Bush when asked about environmental issues.


"I think gays and lesbians have a friend in the White House because I've consistently committed myself to civil unions, making sure that they have to visit each other in hospitals, that they are able to access benefits, that they have a whole host of legal rights that they currently do not have. I don't think it makes sense for the federal government to get in the business of determining what marriage is. That isn't traditionally the federal government's role."


Who knew Obama was a Federalist? Does Obama hang out with Fred Thompson? The latter's position on gay marriage sound much like Obama's.


WALLACE: Gay rights.

THOMPSON: Gay rights? I think that we ought to be a tolerant nation. I think we ought to be tolerant people. But we shouldn't set up special categories for anybody.

And I'm for the rights of everybody, including gays, but not any special rights.

WALLACE: So, gay marriage? You're against.

THOMPSON: Yes. You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that.


Obama is using federalism to argue against gay marriage. No one takes federalism seriously. The progressive movement is going to keep hounding Obama on the gay marriage question and "Don't Ask, Don't Rell." The President can't duck it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home