Ohh That Smell
George Stephanopoulos asks what is the GOP plan for dealing with global warming. House Minority Leader John Boehner declared talk about greenhouse emissions "almost comical." Boehner's scientific prove that greenhouses gases are not man made or a threat to the environment is cow farts.
"The idea that carbon dioxide is a carcinogen that is harmful to our environment is almost comical. Every time we exhale, we exhale carbon dioxide. Every cow in the world, you know when they do what they do you've got more carbon dioxide."
Boehner is reduced to using cow farts to support his pro-bussiness anti-environment stance. Boehner's argument isn't even new. Scientists have attempted to measure how much methane a cow release. Below is a photo a a plastic tank strapped onto a cow's back. You can guess where the hose goes.
The Environmental Protection Agency wrote, "According to scientists, atmospheric build-up of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases as a result of human activities is changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere and tending to warm the planet."
* Human activities are changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere. Increasing levels of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere since pre-industrial times are well-documented and understood.
* The atmospheric buildup of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is largely the result of human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels.
* An “unequivocal” warming trend of about 1.0 to 1.7°F occurred from 1906-2005. Warming occurred in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, and over the oceans (IPCC, 2007).
* The major greenhouse gases emitted by human activities remain in the atmosphere for periods ranging from decades to centuries. It is therefore virtually certain that atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases will continue to rise over the next few decades.
* Increasing greenhouse gas concentrations tend to warm the planet.
We must find clearer fuel. Florida Gov. Charlie Crist is encouraging the private sector to invest in wind, solar and wave power. A wind farm in St Lucie County is in the works. The plan has been put on hold because the potential site is near beachfront property. Florida alternative energy companies are leaping at the opportunity Crist has given. There is money to be made in creative forms of energy. Boehner and other Republicans are firmly embedded into Exxon Mobil lobbying money.