Sunday, January 04, 2009

Naked Brunch: Of puppies, their naming, consequences, and other unrelated matters

I worked for  a whopping two days last week, between my Xmas vacation and New Year's vacation.  I accomplished next to nothing at work, except for one tiny little licking, squirming, cuter-than-hell thing (see left below with Oz in the background thru the glass door).  

I brought home a little girl puppy this past Monday who had been on her own enough time to be a mess and near starving.  She was dropped off at our office by a woman who found her and couldn't find a no kill shelter for her and begged us to place her.  She had found her three days previous, but had made no attempt to clean her up, but did feed her.  

I went immediately to the groomer for cleansing and de-lousing.  Then the vet for a checkup and shots.  Along the way, during her time in the wilds, she picked up an intestinal amoeba and worms, all of which have been taken care of.  Poor little mite.

As some of you may know, I live at the parents house.  This was NOT a pleasant surprise to my father, who started yelling at me, at the top of his lungs, red-faced and fuckin' furious.  He's managed to settle down a bit since, like 6 days later, he is actually conversing with me again.  He'll end up loving this pup as much as I have begun to do.  

My dogs are furious as well, although not until after the first greeting of the pup and their own natural curiousity.  It went downhill shortly thereafter, when they figured out she was going to stay as well as their jealousy for my attention, which I have yet to stint them.  The puppy's unwavering cuteness and showing off, rolling over, and antics, have hard pressed them to be mean to her, although they continue to growl on occassion.  This little girl will go to the bathroom on demand, sleeps through the night (in bed with me) or as long as I do, and takes a bunch of naps beside, allowing me to type right at the moment.  She is a vigorous little vocal bundle, who has seemingly doubled in size within a week!  

Here's the thing, I can not decide on a name.  My other dogs have been named, Nike (after the Greek Goddess of strength, speed and victory), Sadie (as in "sexy Sadie" after the Beatle's tune), Cleo (after Cleopatra), Oz (after Ozymandias who was Ramses II of Egypt), and Luna (The Moon, since it was my very first view of her at a bare 4 weeks old, mooning me).  All but Oz and Luna are deceased now, and every one of them were amazing companions and friends in their own unique way and each with a very special personality.  I have loved them all dearly.  Most recently, I lost my Cleo in February 2008.  Oz will be 14 this year and Luna 11.  It's a little late to introduce a puppy to them, but they will eventually find an accommodation with each other, as dogs always will. 

I always allow a dog to name themselves, but this dog, doesn't perk up on any name.  She responds very well to Potty, but I'll not name her that!  She'll think I am constantly asking her to go to the bathroom.  So, I need help.  With other names, or to pear down this list.  I have already peared it down from 75 or so.

Here are my and the pups (I think) favorites so far, in no particular order:

  • Juno (Roman Goddess, special counselor and protector of state)
  • Abbey (after the Beatle's Abbey Road)
  • Poppy (too close to Potty)
  • Bella (cuz I like it)
  • Ariel (from The Little Mermaid)
  • Cira (after the star)
  • India (guess)
  • Zoe (from a character in an old TV show)
  • Lela (song by Derek and the Dominoes, aka Eric Clapton)
  • Maia (greek name meaning great or mother)
  • Serefina (Sera for short) (character from the Golden Compass)
  • Synne (from Geoffery Chaucer, "Goddes synne of worldly sorwe...")
  • Zaida (Zaida of Seville, an 11th Century exile Muslim princess who was the mistress (or, by some theories, the wife and queen) of King Alfonso VI of Castile)

I'm sick of calling her pup and hey!  So, give me some consensus here or suggest something else.  I need some help!

From my friends on the web:

Check this out at P!  Cripes.  This is sickening.  Part II and Part III.

More on the same BS in Gaza from my friend Tas. 

Some hearty (Bush-enabled) amusement from my Zen Comix friend over at Pushing Rope:  19 and 20, 18 

My friend Rip seems to be MIA since the 20th or so.... damnit, just like those folks from Providence.

My friend, the psychotic painter, Robert Dowling has been in hospital for 10-days for a physical ailment that has been plaguing him and is not in good shape.  Please send him your well wishes for a speedy recovery - he needs it.  You can also help him out by buying a lovely print of one of his Dowling originals.  I"ll be buying an original, hopefully soon.  Be well my friend and check your e-mail.  

Ruins of Empire has the best interview ever:  Dr. Who!!!! ( I am addicted - all over again!)

Jesus' General has a press release from Lois Capps.  (I do love that inner Frenchman.)

Josh Marshall on the J Street bunch, who deserve kudos as well as to Josh for a great pickup.

Al Franken - thank goodness.

Rod the Idiot:  Reid called Blagojevich

Chris Floyd "because we're the altruistic stabilizers..." 

John Cole's Balloon Juice on Goldfarb's apparent psychosis.

Acephalous wacked monologues, (which I love), on big versus the little ..... screen.

And, thus ends another episode of Naked Brunch.  (Yes, I'm naked and brunch was on me.)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home