Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Friends In Low Places

A major point I stress on this blog is to follow the money. Hillsborough County Commissioners Brian Blair and Ken Hagan make it easy.

Stephen Dibbs led the charge to abolish to eliminate the EPC Wetlands Division. Blair and Hagan were all too happy to go along. Until the political pressure became too much. Blair moved to have the Wetlands division with a smaller budget and less enforcement teeth. He sold this as protecting the environment.

We now know that Dibbs is raising campaign money for both Blair and Hagen.


Stephen Dibbs is on the host committee for two commissioners, Brian Blair and Ken Hagan, who had key votes that decided the fate of the county's $2-million wetlands program.


Another major player is developer Hung Mai. Blair and Hagen appointed Mai to the Planning Commission. Mai is fundraising for Blair and Hagen. He is helping Dibbs with the country club fundraisers.

None of Blair's or Hagen's complaints about the wetlands division were really about being fiscally conservative. It was all about cronyism. Pure and simple.

Why can't Hillsborough County have a commission that isn't dysfunctional and openly hostile towards their constituents. Rose Ferlita said it best: "Sometimes I feel I went from city council to kindergarten."

Props to Miranda Smith and Tampa Bay Blue for following this story. The reason I don't cover the HCC more is because they drive me insane. I would lose it if I blogged about them everyday. I (God help me) believe the Bush administration is less corrupt and incompetent.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home