Monday, October 22, 2007

The Blogger(s) Criticism of the Shelton Quarles Hiring

The St Petersburg Times interviewed Shelton Quarles about his appointment as Chairman of the TBARTA. I was struck by this question Mike Brassfield asked Quarles.


There's been a mix of positive and negative reactions to your appointment. On local blogs and Web sites, some people are saying "Oh, come on, he's not qualified for that." Does that bother you?


Wayne Garcia wrote "Bloggers said it looked like Crist was trying to kill the new transportation board." I checked Tampablab and I am the only blogger that was highly critical of the hiring. If there is another blogger that wrote a negative post, I will be more than happy to give credit. I'm wondering how I became "bloggers."

I wrote, "Quarles did donate to Crist's last campaign. Which says much about how seriously Crist takes issues like busing and light rail." What strikes me is that I (or the mystery bloggers) affected how the Quarles hiring was covered. There are interesting questions about whether or not this is good. The bogus Swiftboat attacks on John Kerry hurt his campaign. Fortunately, the media learned it's lesson and fact-checked the Right-Wing blogosphere's assault on Graeme Frost.

I am not about to say Pushing Rope is the official site for Tampa news. That would be silly. PR is a lefty blog. The site is many things. We are not a news service. I do believe that bloggers have a responsiblity to put accurate information in their posts. We are entitled to our opinions, but not facts.

I am glad that the media is questioning the Quarles hiring. The fact he left parts of his application blank should have disqualified him. He was not the most qualified person for the post. Hopefully, Quarles proves me wrong and makes positive change in transportation.

As far as getting credit for questioning Quarles hiring, who cares. I want blogs to make the media do their job. That is what really matters. We wish Mr. Quarles well. We will also take him to task if he is an ineffective chairman.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 6:52 PM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

I made some comments but don't remember if I actually made a post. Maybe said a few words.

Wouldn't matter if you checked Tampa Blab all day long. My posts have not shown up over there for a LONG TIME now. Something political, I believe. LOL.

I try not to take it personally but I DID post an inquiry over there in the 'questions area' and think that disappeared, as well. (I think I smell a former tampa blogger but that's okay, too.)
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I think the local papers spend a LOT more time reading us than they do writing.
Which is jake with me.

 
At October 23, 2007 7:06 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Vox, I checked Blogsearch and Google. I couldn't find anything you written in the post. If you have something put it in the comments and I link it in a post update.

 
At October 23, 2007 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post.

Vox: Last year I removed my blogs from Tampa BLAB because I was making some corrections and re-publishing posts, so I didn't want all of that to show up needlessly on the BLAB site. When I asked to be added to Tampa BLAB again, it took many, many months and several emails and posts from me.

Neither my blogs nor I are politically-oriented, so I chalked it up to either the webmaster being extremely busy or some technical glitch.

I have no idea about your experience, but wanted to suggest another possibility for your consideration.

Also, a friend of mine (reliable source) was told outright and firsthand by a writer at one of our local papers that the writer gets story ideas, etc. from my book blog. I have no doubt that certain members of the MSM read certain local blogs religiously.

 
At October 23, 2007 11:14 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Tampafilmfan: I have had exchanges with several journalists. Two blogging friends of mine work for Raw Story. I'm aware that the media reads blogs. It's just surreal that a couple posts I wrote affected coverage.

As for Tampablab: i don't know the webmaster. Didn't he used to blog at Sticks of Fire?

 
At October 24, 2007 1:31 PM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

tampafilmfan: I think your writing is top-drawer.
I'm not in the least surprised that ideas of yours would show up nationally. If I had more time I'd read your blog religiously.
I've seen my own out there, too.
We're greatly influenced by what we read and see. I see my words used here and there and it makes me very grateful. The ideas are getting out there.
What I like best is it's ALWAYS people that I RESPECT.
Sure and it could be a glitch at tampa blab. The guy who runs the place seems pretty cool and I've read his sites and commented a number of times. It's the way it happened which was .... political. I don't even remember now. I'd have to scrape it up out of memory it's been awhile since I've gone over there. Oh yeah, I DO remember. LOL !! (i'll just let it rest no bounce no foul) It would have been just a glitch until the question I asked about it disappeared, TOO. Wonder who has access to all that stuff ?? hmmm.

My time is much more productively spent commenting on national sites and local sites where the most folks pick up my message. When you do a search for my blog over 2000 instances pop up. That means I'm having my say.

Oh, Michael, you're always so generous. I'll search my blog but I doubt I did a post. Probably just the original comments to your post and a few words scattered in on another subject. One of my weaknesses.
Tampa FILMFAN: It's AWESOME that you're feeling better. I've kept you in my thoughts. I hope you know that.

 
At October 24, 2007 2:57 PM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

Confirmation: I did not say even one word at my blog. Though I do remember thinking about it quite a bit. Mind to blog: didn't happen.

Thank god there's YOU.

oh and congrats to litbrit on the nomination !!!sorry no time to return to proper post. sooo far behind today.

 
At October 29, 2007 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael: It's surreal, I agree. It's fascinating to me to watch technology's effect on our society and our lives in ways big and small. Every day I learn something new and discover connections (like the one here) that I was unaware of. Your small pebble thrown here certainly provoked the ripple effect, didn't it?

Re: Tampablab webmaster -- can't remember his name, and yes, I think he writes or used to write for Sticks of Fire. (BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I am also a Sticks writer; don't know if you knew that or if that matters to you one way or another.)

Don't mean to hijack this comments thread, but I just want to say:

Vox: Thank you so much for the compliment and the good wishes. I really appreciate it and I'm glad to be back in the blogosphere (and everywhere else).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home