Thursday, March 29, 2007

It's About Freaking Time

Florida State Senator Tony Hill and Rep. Ed Homan have launched a contest to create a new state song. The current song Swanee River was created for a minstrel show. The performance was of a white man in black face. The song is about a slave wishing he was still working on the plantation.

Way down upon de Swanee Ribber,
Far, far away,
Dere's wha my heart is turning ebber,
Dere's wha de old folks stay.
All up and down de whole creation
Sadly I roam,
Still longing for de old plantation,
And for de old folks at home.

CHORUS
All de world am sad and dreary,
Eb-rywhere I roam;
Oh, darkeys, *how my heart grows weary,
Far from de old folks at home!

Democrats hate the song and Republicans rather not talk about it. Naturally, Dennis Baxley wants to keep this the state song.

The Buzz reports Just Sing, Florida will start taking entries sometime in May.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 6:29 PM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

It's time for something new and better. GoD what were they thinking?
I hope the refrain contains something about how glad we are massa jeb is done gone. (sorry)

Sometimes I think we should not whitewash florida's icky past.

As Tampa pretends their mob connects are in the past while they choke the life from the city; Florida shouldn't be able to pretend that they were never racists. I doubt anyone will forget soon, however.
I, currently, have no suggestions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home