Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Pain Torture Inflicts On America

Eric Fair served in the 82nd Airborne Division. He is haunted by the screams of a man he helped torture.


Though the man in this particular nightmare has no face, I know who he is. I assisted in his interrogation at a detention facility in Fallujah. I was one of two civilian interrogators assigned to the division interrogation facility (DIF) of the 82nd Airborne Division. The man, whose name I've long since forgotten, was a suspected associate of Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad, the Baath Party leader in Anbar province who had been captured two months earlier.


The lead interrogator at the DIF had given me specific instructions: I was to deprive the detainee of sleep during my 12-hour shift by opening his cell every hour, forcing him to stand in a corner and stripping him of his clothes. Three years later the tables have turned. It is rare that I sleep through the night without a visit from this man. His memory harasses me as I once harassed him.


Despite my best efforts, I cannot ignore the mistakes I made at the interrogation facility in Fallujah. I failed to disobey a meritless order, I failed to protect a prisoner in my custody, and I failed to uphold the standards of human decency. Instead, I intimidated, degraded and humiliated a man who could not defend himself. I compromised my values. I will never forgive myself.


Fair said the harsh interrogation techniques did not work. He says he lacked the moral courage to stop the madness. I feel that Fair took a couragious stand writing this op-ed.

We should not be asking American service men and women to torture. It degrades them, the victims and everything America is suppose to stand for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home