Friday, December 15, 2006

Greg Dulli On Post-Katrina New Orleans

Katrina

Greg Dulli is very familiar with New Orleans. He has lived and recorded several albums in the city. He explains the city's current state.

Q: You recorded your last album, Powder Burns, in New Orleans shortly after

Dulli: Hurricane Katrina hit. Why didn’t you record it somewhere less chaotic?
Because I have a home there and my friends needed me. If you bail on your friends in their time of need, you’re not much of a friend. I stayed there and persevered with everyone else.

Q: What’s New Orleans like now?

Dulli: It’s ugly. The crime is out of control. There are murders every day. There’s a creeping sense of the unknown but I remain staunchly aligned with the city. I’ve lived there for nine years. I’ve been all over the world but it’s by far one of the most unique cities I’ve been to. I really like the village aspect of it. I can walk everywhere.

Q: Has enough been done to sort out the problems?

Dulli: George Bush hasn’t done anything. The inaction in New Orleans is another in a long line of that guy’s ineptitudes. The fact people sat on roofs five days after the hurricane with no food or water says everything you need to know about what a piece of sh*t that guy and his administration is. All the help that’s coming to New Orleans is coming from within. It’s the people in the city that are doing the work. That’s why I won’t leave.

Dulli wrote the song Underneath the Waves about Katrina.

Underneath the Waves MP3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home