Monday, June 16, 2014

Jim Greer's Book 'The Chairman'

I haven't read Peter Golenbock's book "The Chairman: The Rise and Betrayal of Jim Greer.". I did have this exchange with Golenbock on Susan Smith's Facebook wall.

Golenbock: He's not a crook. If you read the book, you will see that the real crooks conspired with the state attorney general to force Greer to accept a guilty plea. Michael, read for entertainment value. It's a fascinating inside look at politics, and when you get to the end you will understand exactly why Greer accepted a plea deal rather than gamble and end up spending ten years in jail, rather than a year and a half. Susan, I'm the author. I'm the one getting paid.

I have written about Jim Greer paying himself with Republican Party of Florida money. Greer was convicted and is serving 15 months. As chairman, Greer funneled RPOF money to himself through Victory Strategies. Greer was later convicted and sentenced to 18 months.

This is a particularly hysterical passage from the book. Greer had a very bad idea of how to promote Crist.

“One night we took over a museum and showed the movie National Treasure with Nicolas Cage and Jon Voight. We served hors d’oeuvres and wine and brought in Voight, a big Republican who was a star in the movie. He made a speech and posed for photographs. The reason I chose that movie was I wanted to promote Charlie Crist as a ‘national treasure.’

Words fail me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home