Thursday, March 12, 2009

Joel Award: Michael Steele (Again)

It is time to give out the Joel Award. The award goes any celebrity, pundit, blogger or politician that purposely contradicts himself or herself.

Michael Steele told GQ abortion is a woman's medical right. In fairness, Steele said he is personally anti-choice.


Explain that.
The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other.

Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?
Yeah. I mean, again, I think that’s an individual choice.

You do?
Yeah. Absolutely.


Steele quickly hoped on the contradiction express. "The only question is whether Michael Steele will reverse himself on his 'Not me Baby, No way, no how' proclamation and step down," wrote Pam Spaulding. "Or he will have a giant wingnut bootprint on his back as he sails out the door." The third option is spin like mad.


I am pro-life, always have been, always will be.
I tried to present why I am pro life while recognizing that my mother had a "choice" before deciding to put me up for adoption. I thank her every day for supporting life. The strength of the pro life movement lies in choosing life and sharing the wisdom of that choice with those who face difficult circumstances. They did that for my mother and I am here today because they did. In my view Roe vs. Wade was wrongly decided and should be repealed. I realize that there are good people in our party who disagree with me on this issue.

But the Republican Party is and will continue to be the party of life. I support our platform and its call for a Human Life Amendment. It is important that we stand up for the defenseless and that we continue to work to change the hearts and minds of our fellow countrymen so that we can welcome all children and protect them under the law.


Steele quickly went from pro-choice to anti-abortion at whiplash speed. Steele becomes the first two-time winner of the Joel Award.

Related: Joel Award: Michael Steele

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home