Friday, July 11, 2008

Steel Curtain

“Once my condition had stabilized, my interrogators resumed their work. Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship’s name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant. Pressed for more useful information, I gave the names of the Green Bay Packers offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron. When asked to identify future targets, I simply recited the names of a number of North Vietnamese cities that had already been bombed.”

John McCain, from his 1999 book Faith of My Fathers.

The Packers were an NFL elite team in the sixties. Which makes me wonder why a Northern Virginia native would be a fan of the horrible Steelers. The sixties version of the Steel Curtain looked more like bad drapes. The Steelers suffered 6 losing seasons.

The Straight Talker told Pittsburgh station, KDKA-TV, that he told his North Vietnamese captors the names of the Steelers offensive line. Could Steeler fans pick Ken Kortas, Chuck Hinton, Ben McGee and Lloyd Voss out of a lineup? Steeler fans are ripping the Maverick on message boards.

Why do pols pander like this? They always get burned. Hillary Clinton jokingly said she would have to altenate between rooting for the Cubs and Yankees. She got burned off of making joke in a debate. McCain flat out lied and expected the media not to crucify him. McCain's media friends will give him a pass on economics or bad statements about the Iraq war. They aren't going to let a serious journalism story like the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line pass.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home