Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pazz & Jop

This is another good reason why the Village Voice Pazz & Jop poll should not be taken seriously anymore. The Bob Dylan album Modern Times came in at number one.

1 Dylan, Bob - Modern Times

2 TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

3 Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

4 Hold Steady, The - Boys and Girls in America

5 Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere

6 Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

7 Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

8 Case, Neko - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

9 Newsom, Joanna - Ys

10 Waits, Tom - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

I'm convinced Dylan can croak into a microphone and critics will hail it as genius. I wonder how many people would have sat through the When the Deal Goes Down without the visage of Scarlett Johansson.

I haven't heard the Waits box set. I'm sure it's good.

The Neko Case and TV On the Radio albums are amazing. I don't think anyone is surprised that the Hold Steady and Gnarls Barkley made the list. There is stuff on both those albums I like, but I fear the bands will burn out from the hype. That would be a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home