Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Protest Idea For St Petersburg Homeless Situation

Earlier this month, homeless activists started camping out in Paris to draw awareness to the country's 86,000 homeless population. The protests spread to Lyon, Orléans and Toulouse. The activists were able to put enough pressure to force President Jacques Chirac to ask the government to address the homeless plight.

I wonder if this kind of protests would work in St Petersburg. They are nonviolent, inexpensive and would draw media attention if done with the right PR. This would also increased heat for a independent investigation into the police slashing tent city. Many people are having a hard time believing Mayor Rick Baker wasn't involved.

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2007 10:46 AM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

I thought they tried this but that may have only been in SRQ. I thought Food not Bombs did this in st pete but so much goes on, memory may not serve correctly. I get lots of email from SRQ because we participate actively there when time permits and when Tampa/StPete does not get an action going or for instance, on the 27th they took it to Spring Hill. Sarasota draws alot of people and they do alot of actions (by way of explaining my possible confusion)
I'll finally boil this all down by stating firmly that I would participate in this action with you and others and I could bring a few others, probably. We may not be able to start til late in the evening because of work constraints but we would support it. Maybe Rachel* will too. She has a bigger fan club than me and she has an interest in the homeless. Come ON, Rachel, bring your crew and help spread the light.
All kidding aside -- my email is on my blog or just post it and we'll sign up.

 
At January 31, 2007 7:15 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

I can't even joke about Rachel. Using Sticks to public diss her former boss Mitzi Gordon was classless. Then to find out Rachel was shaking Mitzi for money. Mitzi was paying Rachel out of her own pocket. Classless.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home