Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is Rick Scott's Money In A Blind Trust?

Gov. Rick Scott has a paranoid need for secrecy rivaling Richard Nixon. Scott and his communications people can not give columnist Stephen L. Goldstein a straight answer about whether or not Scott placed his wealth into a blind trust.


Update: On Jan. 27, I called Gov. Scott's Communications Office to find out if his vast financial holdings had been placed in a blind trust to avoid conflicts of interest. I was told someone would get back to me. Not having heard by Feb. 8, I called and asked again. I was told I would receive an answer by the end of the day, but I never got one. It's obvious any governor, but especially one who is exceptionally rich, needs to be above suspicion that his official policies intentionally increase his personal wealth — especially because he wants to have sole authority to spend $800 million in state tax dollars to bring businesses into Florida, a power now granted to the Legislature. I'll keep you updated.


This isn't a trick question. It is a yes or no answer. If Scott hasn't placed his fortune into a blind trust he could financially benefit from decisions made as governor. Considering Scott's history with Medicare fraud, it is troubling he refuses to answer Goldstein's question.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home