Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bob Hackworth Self-Imposed Finance Reform

Bob Hackworth sent this e-mail out to supporters.


Today I filed the final paperwork with the Supervisor of Elections making me an official, qualified candidate in race for Pinellas County Commissioner in District 4. For the first time ever, a Democrat will be on the ballot for this single member seat. Three Republicans, including the ten-year incumbent, Susan Latvala, will compete in a primary to determine who will run against me in the November 2nd general election.

Polling shows that I have an excellent chance of winning in November. I am a hard working candidate with political experience, a record on public issues, and a resume of public service and community leadership.

I have taken a principled self-imposed campaign-finance reform stand by limiting my campaign contributions to $100 or less, and I am accepting not a single dime from lobbyist, developers, or special interests with business before the County Commission.

Some have ridiculed my fundraising. Is it a struggle to compete when you turn down the cash that corrupts the system? You bet it is. But well over a hundred individuals have contributed to my campaign to date and many more will do so in the future. Voters are on the lookout for a candidate who doesn’t confuse politics with public service.


The incumbent has accepted over a hundred $500 checks and most have come from special interests with business before the county. Just this week the County Commission awarded a $2.5M contract to a construction company for a road project. Two $500 checks, one from the owner of that company and one from the business itself, were contributed to Susan Latvala’s campaign. She moved for the approval, never disclosing the contributions, and while it’s not illegal and it happens all the time, let me ask you this: Which candidate will be the leader who will put an end to “politics as usual” and work every day to try to restore integrity, trust, and confidence in our local government?

My campaign is about proving that the message is more important than the money. I believe the $10 checks I get from individuals are much more valuable than the $1000 contribution given to my opponent by a special interest.

But to prove it, I’ll need hundreds of $10 checks and only you can help. My next report is due in July and it will be a real victory if I list more contributors than my opponents - - not more money, just more individual donors. There are over 550 of you in this group. Please contribute $10 online now. Click on the link below and together we can do it!


When did Hackworth become the Russ Feingold of Florida? I have nothing against a candidate only wanting to accept contributions of no more than $100. I have my doubts that Hackworth will have enough money to compete.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home