Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dear Tampa Tribune

Dear Tampa Tribune

I do appreciate the traffic TBO.com is bringing to my blog. However, if you are going to use my blog post on Mark Sanford, I would like a byline and for TBO.com to ask before using my content. I know TBO.com doesn't want to follow the cheesy Creative Loafing model of using and abusing bloggers for free content. The Tampa Tribune is a real newspaper with paid investigative journalists. Creative Loafing is published so people would have something to line kitty litter boxes. Reputations must be maintained.

If you ever want to use my content just drop me an email. I will mostly likely say yes.

Cheers,

Michael Hussey
Blog Editor of Pushing Rope

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At June 26, 2009 8:18 AM , Blogger joe positive said...

yikes, this is really bad. It's really amazing what passes for journalism these days. Have you heard anything from the Trib yet? Please keep us posted.

 
At June 26, 2009 11:02 AM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Denis, you're blogging at Daily Loaf. I'm so sorry. I get enough traffic here that I don't need CL. I'm holding out for Alternet Peek.

Joe, I haven't heard anything from the Trib. I saw your band profiled in tbt. Congrats.

 
At June 26, 2009 2:00 PM , Blogger joe positive said...

seriously...cut-n-pasting your content and passing it off as their own, then linking back to your blog in a jump, all without attribution of any kind...did they think you wouldn't notice? Have they never heard of trackbacks? This seems like a very large and stupid error in judgment. I hope you do get some kind of response, and an apology.

 
At July 12, 2009 6:25 PM , Anonymous Alex said...

It's sad media outlets are going for the easy, unethical way out as a way to deal with the changes in the industry. Why do they keep digging their holes deeper with moves like this?

 
At July 13, 2009 5:59 PM , Blogger Tucker said...

Media sites copy and paste whole posts because it heps their SEO value, thus heightening the value of their website. Sites like Huffington Post have gotten into trouble doing the same thing that TBO is doing to you though, Michael. A blog of any size linking to somebody else's content is one thing, but to not give you a byline when they take all of your words is just wrong. Either TBO's staffers aren't that bright or just don't care.

 
At September 13, 2009 10:34 PM , Blogger Peter Schorsch said...

A letter to Janet Coats, Vice President of the Tampa Tribune, regarding the illegal use of my intellectual property.

http://bit.ly/3aYteg

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home