Friday, January 16, 2009

Alex Sink Will Not Run For Senate

I received this email. Alex Sink announces she will not run for Mel Martinez's seat.


“Over the past several weeks, I have given serious and careful thought to my own future and, more importantly, to the future of our state. And I am extremely grateful for the support and advice so many friends and fellow Floridians have shared. I believe my skills and abilities are of greatest use here in Florida, where I am honored to serve as Chief Financial Officer. And I will run for re-election as Chief Financial Officer to continue being a fiscal watchdog on behalf of the people of Florida."


That is good news for Kendrick Meek. Expect other Democrats to soon jump into the race.

Update: Dan Gelber will soon make an announcement.


"I spoke this morning with Alex about her decision to seek reelection rather than to run for the seat being vacated by Senator Martinez. I have been delaying my own decision to give her time to reach her judgment, both out of my deep respect for her as a public servant and my personal friendship with both her and her husband.

"Given this morning's news, I fully expect to officially enter the race in the coming weeks. The task of preparing for such a race is complex, thus I will be making a more formal announcement soon.


All the excitement seems to be on Democratic side. The only Republican generating any buzz is Marco Rubio. Bill McCollum and Connie Mack don't seem to capture people's imagination. Jeb Bush is out. It is easy to see why John Cornyn of the National Republican Senatorial Committee is trying to get Charlie Crist to run.

If Crist was smart, he would run for Martinez's seat. Crist is not the GOP version of Bill Clinton on economical matters. Crist isn't going to turn Florida's economy or budget deficit around. Crist lacks the political courage and economic intellect. Crist can not run for President after running a state into debt. I think Crist would be an equally horrible Senator. If I was his political advisor, I would tell him to run.

Update: Congressman Allen Boyd issued a press release.


"Alex Sink would have been a tremendous candidate for the U.S. Senate. Florida is fortunate that she'll be staying on as CFO. I've always said that the decision to run for the U.S. Senate is a personal one for me and does not hinge on what anyone else decides to do. I love serving the people of North Florida in the House of Representatives, but I'm considering a Senate run because of the very serious challenges facing my fellow Floridians. I'm not going to drag this out. I'm very close to a decision and will make my decision public."

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 17, 2009 12:55 PM , Blogger RightDemocrat said...

Allen Boyd is the candidate that can win this Senate seat for the Democrats. Alex Sink does a great job as CFO. Sink is going to win re-election by a landslide and then get ready to run for Governor in 2014. It is critical to recapture the Governor's office. This is good news for Florida Democrats.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home