Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bad Marketing Idea: Mrs. Dirt Bag T-Shirts

I'm happy that the Tampa Bay Rays are winning. The fan site Rays Index unleashed a horrible marketing scheme. Asking women to buy Mrs. DirtBag T-Shirts is a PR disaster waiting to happen.



I know that some will think shirts are fun. If anyone wants to buy one then by all means. I'm not urging a boycott or have any grievance with anyone involved with Rays Index.

A note all marketing people: I don't know a woman that would be caught wearing this shirt. It is demeaning to women. Dirt Bag sounds like Cunt Rag. Seriously. "Mrs. Dirt Bag" gives connotation that the woman is the property of a man. The shirt strikes me as creepy. Making matters worse is the bizarre marketing pitch.


No poem to mark the occasion today...but just know that if we had a daughter, we would buy this shirt for her and make it happen. Is there a bigger compliment that one man could ever give to another?


It isn't about men giving compliments to each other. These T-shirts are to be marketed to women. Not guys that watch Ray games together. No thought was put into the female demographic.

The whole "if we had a daughter" we would make her wear the shirt creeps the shit out of me. My advise to the people at Rays Index: you make a daughter wear this and she will put you in the world's worst nursing home. Guaranteed.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 30, 2008 7:02 AM , Blogger calebism said...

Look... he only hits me because he loves me. And he bought me this great shirt-- to make up for last night! What a guy...

 
At July 31, 2008 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirtbag is Evan Longoria's nickname and apparently the shirt came after requests from readers. Obviously they can't sell shirts that say "Mrs. Longoria", but I can tell you that among the many games I have attended this season, there are a LOT of women that would LOVE to be married to Longoria.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home