Friday, December 21, 2007

Can't Pander To Everyone All the Time

Mitt Romney said on Meet the Press that he saw his father march with Martin Luther King. George Romney never marched with Martin Luther King.


Susan Englander, assistant edi tor of the Martin Luther King Jr. Papers Project at Stanford University, who is editing the King papers from that era, told the Globe yesterday: "I researched this question, and indeed it is untrue that George Romney marched with Martin Luther King."


The Mittster corrected the statement.




"If you look at the literature, if you look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of in the sense I've described," Romney told reporters in Iowa. "It's a figure of speech and very familiar, and it's very common. And I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort."


It gets better. The Mittster, in 1978, said he and Pops marched with Martin Luther King.


"My father and I marched with Martin Luther King Jr. through the streets of Detroit."


And I have a pink elephant for a best friend.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At December 23, 2007 8:53 PM , Blogger tas said...

Is it this pink elephant?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home