Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blogging Is Not About Free Tickets

I'm always happy to support the arts and amazed when people offer me free things because of this blog.


Hi Michael.
I work in the marketing department at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. We're trying to generate some buzz and support for a quirky and super fun Broadway show call The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.


I'd like to extend to you a pair of tickets to the opening night (Tuesday, March 27 @ 7:30 p.m.) of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Here's a link to information on the show: http://www.tbpac.com/shows/show.cfm?recordID=1654


I'm not attending the show. I wish the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center to best of luck.

It is interesting that as this blog gets more popular people want to give me stuff and more happy to answer my email. That is nice. It is something that could get to my head if I let it.

Pushing Rope isn't meant to replace the media or be "THEE place for news in and about Tampa." The blog is meant to give voice to issues that aren't covered and progressive activism. The whole wanting to be a star blogger that is seen on the internet is rather narcissistic. People like Ray Seaman and Jackie Dowd don't get a lot of traffic. They do donate much of their personal time to political campaigns and homeless legal services. To me they are what blogging is all about. Go check out their sites and tell them to keep up the good work.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At March 21, 2007 9:28 PM , Blogger Vox Populi said...

been there ... done that. agree heartily.

jackie qualifies for sainthood. not as familiar with the other one.

you've turned me on to some amazing people.


Thank You.

And, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that everyone who matters 'gets' you.

I have a feeling that you'll make it just because you're worth it whether you desire said outcome or not. You're interesting and smart.
And, you're damned funny. All those combine to something way better than average. enough from me ``` start an e-zine and keep filling peoples' heads with the good stuff . It's your responsibility as a man of intellect.

 
At March 21, 2007 10:41 PM , Blogger Julio Rodriguez said...

i get you.

 
At March 22, 2007 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only a star blogger because people keep saying I am!

I like writing and I like my life, so blogging has ended up being something else I really like.

Remember when you used to comment very agreeable things *all the time* when I wrote SoHoTampa, but now you're on some moral high horse with me - kinda black-or-white, which is weird, bc the only time I think about you is when I get incoming traffic from one of your slightly nasty references to me.

Get over it, because, honestly, I get you, too. And maybe the people who offered you the tix get you and thought you'd like to see their show. Like that's so fucking terrible.

 
At March 22, 2007 8:40 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

You think so little of me that you commented on this site. Interesting. Much like you went on Lindsay Beyerstein's blog after she wrote about your hateful post

I probably wouldn't have a problem with you if you didn't advocate violence on others. What happened to you?

 
At March 25, 2007 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you being purposefully obtuse? Red herrings are weak, Michael. Read my comment again.

I didn't say I think little of you. I've always liked your blog and I'm always up to go back and forth with someone on something if it's interesting to me.

I said I don't think about you often enough to write unpleasant things about you on my blog.

You have no idea how much I don't give a shit about that post about homeless people. It's not really the defining moment you want it to be, so I guess I just think the star blogger references are, well, whatever, I'll take 'em, even though I only ever write about my car and dancing and probably have a third of your traffic.

The main point being blogging is about anything you want it to be - from free tickets to sanctimonious indignation.

You shoulda gone to the show. You mighta liked it.

 
At March 25, 2007 5:39 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

I'm not crazy about your homeless post. We have established that. It the very least it was insensitive. You should at least understand the perception that others had of the post. Even if you don't care.

I don't think the show is my kind of thing. If they offered me Cat Power tickets I'm sure I would go. Personal taste.

My point was the whole star blogger thing is rather silly. Most people don't know or care who Glenn Reynolds or Kos is. I certainly don't consider myself a blog star. Whatever that maybe.

Why do you call yourself a star and put the asterisk next to your name?

I don't assume your life revolves around me. For that matter, anyone else who reads my site.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home