Sunday, November 19, 2006

Open Thread: Is the Hold Steady Overhyped



My pal Graceland asked me what I thought about the Hold Steady. My first thought was who the fuck is the Hold Steady? Then I remembered that I'm familiar with this band. I heard their big indie rock hit Chips Ahoy and quickly forgot about them. I heard some other stuff by them. The songs sound catchy and then I never think about them again.

This band has been getting much buzz. I'm I missing something or is this band something special? Offer your opinions.

Side note: Joel, a post about Brian Eno, OK Computer and ambient music makes painful reading. Please, for the mercy of God, stop.

Updated: I also uploaded another Hold Steady song.

Southtown Girls MP3

4 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 12:45 AM , Blogger Joel said...

And yet you lived to tell the oddly catty tale - still, I'll be sure to run stuff by you first.

I had absolutely no plans to write about either album again, but you may have just inspired me.

P.S. - Listen to Hold Steady's "Cattle and Creeping Things" and "Stevie Nix" - for that matter, all of Separation Sunday. Listen several times - once I went through two or three times, I was hooked for good.

 
At November 20, 2006 1:04 AM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

I had absolutely no plans to write about either album again, but you may have just inspired me.

Let us pray.

 
At November 20, 2006 2:11 AM , Blogger The Donkey said...

I seem to be missing something. chips ahoy does nothing for me.

 
At November 20, 2006 6:25 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Donkey, I forgot the band's name when I read your comment. I listened to the song Little Hoodrat Friend and it rocks in a sleazy early Afghan Whigs way. The question is will I remember the tune later. Chips Ahoy annoys me in a Weezer way. Total crap.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home