Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Thoughts On Kenneth Quinnell's Idea

Kenneth Quinnell wants the Democratic Party to start paying interns. He doesn't want to hear any lip about it not being financially possible. (Even though that was my first thought.)

Here is the problem. Why should Democrats pay college kids to do something they already are for free? Kenneth's argument is that paying interns helps retain youth and makes them better worker bees in the party. I agree with that in theory. The establishment also has to train and commit time to these young people. That hasn't been something they wanted to do.

My experience in grassroots efforts, as a young man, was I was treated as nothing more than free labor. I was never involved with the inner-circle decisions. That is a big part of why young people don't stick around. Pay increases is not enough. The whole party culture will have to shift to making advancement possible. If it's nothing more than about internship then it's doomed to failure.

Back to you, Kenneth.

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2006 9:03 AM , Blogger Professor Rex said...

I'm a step-by-step, first things first kind of guy. You can't get the 100% ideal situation overnight. Step 1, which is feasable, is to pay these young activists. Step 2 is to take them seriously, something that is easier to do and more likely to happen when you are inveting money in them. Other than that, I agree with you.

(My last name has two L's by the way).

 
At September 27, 2006 5:47 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Sperlled it wrong in the title. Sorry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home