Sunday, August 06, 2006

Question of the Day

I made a comment to a friend of mine that it's hysterical that Ben Affleck said he plans to be as good an actor as Tom Hanks or Nicolas Cage. My friend said he believes Affleck is on his way to becoming that good. My response was that Affleck is nothing more than a Tom Cruise-wannabe. I also said Affleck is the anti-Christ of cinema.

Here's the question - do you agree or disagree with my assessment of the star of Surviving Christmas and Gigli? Are you an Affleck fan? Give me your feedback.

4 Comments:

At August 07, 2006 12:01 AM , Blogger Joel said...

My wife's assessment: "He's good looking, but he can't act and he's dumb as a box of rocks."

 
At August 07, 2006 12:03 AM , Blogger Jim Johnson said...

Don't forget these great performances by Tom Hanks and Nicolas Cage:

Dragnet (TH)
Honeymoon In Vegas (NC)
Joe Versus the Volcano (TH)
The Man With One Red Shoe (TH)
Peggy Sue Got Married (NC)
Valley Girl (NC)
Volunteers (TH)

Sometimes decent actors start out with some terrible roles in really bad movies. Affleck has had bad roles later in his career than Cage or Hanks -- but that is partially due to his youth (younger than both when they won their first Oscar - although his was for writing). Affleck has been decent in some bad movies... can't fault the actor for bad writing and bad directing, right?

 
At August 07, 2006 3:51 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

Jim, I'm wondering how an Oscar-winning screenwriter can't pick such bad scripts. I do think he was very good in Chasing Amy. Him and Kevin Smith have made crap together after that.

 
At August 07, 2006 4:30 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

By the way Jim, I think Valley Girl is a cult classic. I laughed when I saw Dragnet. I take those two movies over Reindeer Games, anyday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home