Friday, February 08, 2008

John McCain At CPAC

Last year, Tas covered the lunacy that is CPAC. Nowhere present was John McCain. The Maverick knew the the base hates him. This year, conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham made no effort to hide her dislike of McCain.

"Here's another little nugget for you. I don't think it's enough to say that you were a foot soldier in the Reagan revolution," Laura Ingraham told the CPAC crowd. "I think the question is... what have you been doing for conservatism lately?"

Ingraham took one more swipe at McCain: "An obsession with endless bipartisan compromises does not keep us free."

McCain was forced to speak at CPAC this year. McCain was booed when he brought up the touchy subject of immigration. McCain needs these activists to help get him in the Oval Office. Their enthusiasm is underwhelming.



The base would rather lose in 2008 than have the Rockefeller Republicans take over the party. What is fascinating is the base would rather rally around a phony like Romney than McCain. Romney's record is more liberal then Nelson Rockefeller's. The base would rather hear sweet lies, grind Congress to a halt, and get nothing accomplished than get part of their agenda passed. These take-no-prisoners policies made Newt Gingrich, Tom Delay and George W. Bush lose power.

The GOP base wants government Armageddon. If they can't drown government in a bath tub then they take their water torture victim home.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 08, 2008 6:22 PM , Blogger tas said...

I wish I got to cover it this year. I should have held a fundraiser.. Last year I didn't know what I was doing, just a warm up. If I were there right now it would be like a slaughterfest of journalism.

 
At February 08, 2008 6:23 PM , Blogger tas said...

And when I say "I wish I got to cover it this year," it's not that nobody would let me -- I'm sure a bunch of places would have. It's just I'm broke and behind on my schoolwork, so.. No fun for me.

 
At February 09, 2008 3:38 PM , Blogger Michael Hussey said...

I wished you did cover it. I would have loved to have read your reaction to Mitt Romney valiantly dropping out to help fight terrorism.

 
At February 10, 2008 3:44 PM , Blogger tas said...

It would have beared a close resemblance to Jon Stewart's reaction.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home